[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"AVETON, (or Aveton Gifford), a parish in the hundred of Ermington, in the county of Devon, 3 miles to the N.W. of King's Bridge. Ivy-Bridge is its post town. It lies on the north bank of the river Avon, not far from its mouth and the coast of the English Channel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £586, in the gift of the executors of the late Jas. Pitman, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities amount to £7 per annum.