CLOVELLY, co. Devon
A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom,
By Benjamin Pitts Capper
London, Printed for Richard Phillips. (1808)
P. T. Bideford (201) 11m. W by S. Pop. 941
A parish in the hundred of Hartland, situated on a romantic steep adjoining the sea. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple and the diocese of Exeter valued in K.B. 19l. 11s. 5½d.; church ded. to All Saints; patron (1829) Sir J.H. Williams, Bart. Clovelly is the most celebrated place on the coast for herring fishing. Above the cliffs, to the south-east of the village, are the remains of an encampment, called Clovelly Dykes, the origin of which is unknown.
Transcribed - Brian Randell, 16 Jul 2018