CLYST ST. LAWRENCE
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"CLIST ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in the hundred of Cliston, in the county of Devon, 6 miles S. of Collumpton, its post town, and 2½ N. of the Hele station on the Great Western railway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £299, in the patronage of the trustees of St. John's Hospital, Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient stone edifice, in the perpendicular style; it contains stained-glass windows, and a statue of the Virgin and Child. In the churchyard are the remains of an ancient cross. The charities are of the value of £5 per annum. The trustees of Hele's charity are the lords of the manor."