"COTLEIGH is a small parish and village 3 miles north-east-by-east from Honiton station on the London and South Western railway, and 7 north-west from Axminster, in the Eastern division of the county, Colyton hundred, Honiton union, county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Dunkeswell and Honiton and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Michael is a building of flint and stone in the Early Decorated style . . . the church was restored in 1867, partly from funds furnished by Hobbs's charity: the chancel was rebuilt by the late rector: there are sittings for 130 persons. The registers date from 1611, but are very deficient at that period and for some time subsequently. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £188, including 28 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Louisa Lady Ashburton, and held since 1882 by the Rev. John Hawker M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford. Here is a chapel for Bible Christians, erected in 1890. . . . The principal landowners are the Marquess of Northampton, who is lord of the manor, and the Misses Outhwaite, of Rougemont, Exeter. The soil is clayey; the subsoil is marl and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The acreage is 1,270; rateable value, £1,363; the population in 1901 was 186." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Colyton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.