Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
COFTON. St. Mary. The church consists of chancel with piscina, a modern stone altar and reredos, nave, north aisle, and south porch.
The west window, filled with glass representing the Ascension, is in memory of the Rev. John Nicholas Lightfoot, who died February 12th 1884; he was 26 years pastor and first vicar of this church. A tablet on the outside of the church beneath the west window has the following inscription:- This chapel which was founded in the 14th century, having remained in a ruinous state for more than 70 years was restored by William Courtenay, Earl of Devon, and reopened for Divine Service January 9th 1839. Charles Fowler Esq. Architect
Jonathan Parsons, Clerk of Works. The north aisle was restored by public subscription in 1863.
The registers date from 1864.