"DUNCHIDEOCK, a small scattered village and parish, in a picturesque valley, 4 miles S.W. of Exeter, has only 208 souls, and 950 acres of land. Sir L.V. Palk is lord of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to James Pitman, Esq, of Dunchideock House, a large mansion, with pleasant grounds, on a bold acclivity. The Church (Holy Trinity,) was partly rebuilt in 1669, and has a tower and three bells. It contains a handsome monument in memory of General Stringer Lawrence, who died in 1775. He has also a monument in Westminster Abbey, erected by the East India Company, in gratitude for his services in India, and the peace which he concluded at Carnatic. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14. 17s. 1d., and in 1831 at £327, with that of Shillingford St. George annexed to it, is in the patronage of Sir L.V. Palk, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Palk, B.C.L., who resides at Shillingford, there being neither Parsonage nor glebe here. . . . Here is a small School, supported chiefly by the rector.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Exminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.



Baker, H.R. Popham. Aaron Baker of Bowhay. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 14:7, (1927) pp.322-323. - First Eng. Governor in India. Retired to Bowhay near Dunchideock. [1620-1683]



MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]


Church History

Dunchideock - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Winckworth, A.N. The Rectors of Dunchideock. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 28 (1959-61) pp.322-324.

A short guide for the visitor to St. Michael's Church, Dunchideock. [Dunchideock]: [The Church] [1964?] [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/DUN/SHO]


Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in the Devon Record Office.

Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.

Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1538-1837, and Marriages 1539-1783, 1798-1836.

Sellman, R.R. Parish registers, 1538-1837: edited transcript with family reconstitutions. Typescript (1990) 59p. [Westcountry Studies Library - x929.3/DUN/1538]

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Alphington, Ashcombe, Bishopsteignton, Chudleigh, Combeinteignhead, Dawlish, Dunchideock, East Ogwell, East Teignmouth, Exminster, Haccombe, Ide, Kenn, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham, Shaldon, Shillingford St. George, Starcross, Stokeinteignhead, St. Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter), Trusham, West Ogwell and West Teignmouth. Includes Chudleigh United Reformed Church and East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Alphington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1812-1837; Ashcombe Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1783-1837; Bishopsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh United Reformed Chapel Bur: 1834-1836; Combeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Dawlish Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Dunchideock Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1836 Bur: 1813-1851; East Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Bur: 1809-1836; Exminster Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Haccombe Bapt: 1821-1842 Mar: 1773-1801 Bur: 1829-1839; Ide Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenn Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenton Bapt: 1813-1844 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Mamhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Powderham Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1835 Bur: 1785-1837; Shaldon Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shillingford St. George Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1765-1837 Bur: 1680-1842; Starcross Bapt: 1815-1840 Mar: 1828-1837 Bur: 1828-1837; Stokeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1800-1837; St.Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter) Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Trusham Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1743-1837 Bur: 1750-1837; West Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1843 Bur: 1813-1839; West Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837.]


Description & Travel

Conservation Area Appraisal for Dunchideock - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.

Section on Dunchideock from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.

You can see pictures of Dunchideock which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



Pitman, Charles E. History and pedigree of the family of Pitman of Dunchideock, Exeter, and their collaterals, and of the Pitmans of Alphington, Norfolk, and of Edinburgh, with part pedigrees and accounts of families connected by marriage: Andrew, Sanders, Barnes, Kitson, Astley, Keats, Northcote, Gordon, Walrond, Bulteel, Stapleton, Harris, Senhouse, Coker, Manley, Palk, and Williams, with biographies of individuals . . . and with extracts from wills and parish registers, and list of Dunchideock title deeds and other family papers. London: Mitchell, Hughes & Clarke, 1920.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Dunchideock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Memories of Dunchideock, by the late A.N. Winckworth (1917-1997), of Dunchideock House, communicated by Peter Kirk.

Harper, Peter. The Treacle Mines, Dunchideock. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 31, 3 (Oct 1968) pp.85-86. ["Dunchideock treacle has its origin in the remains of moss-like plants which lived about three hundred milion years ago. Treacle-bearing, or theriaciferous, rock is found in large quantities in the red sandstone area around Dunchideock. . . it is likely that treacle has been mined in the area since at least 1550. . . Today, actual production of treacle is extremely low, due to the high cost of production . . . most of the treacle is exported to the U.S.A. where there is a small but steady market, and indeed a 'Circle of Treacle Tasters' in Cambridge Massachusetts. . ."]

Pidsley, Christopher. The Tower on the Hill: Haldon Belvedere and the Palks of Haldon House vol. 10 no. 86 (1973) pp.22-24; ill.



View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX876876 (Lat/Lon: 50.677173, -3.592176), Dunchideock which are provided by:


Names, Personal

Dunchideock contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

Dunchideock Apprentices Register - 1807-1832, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A149). [Foreword]