Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
HEMYOCK. St. Mary. The church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower. There is a piscina in the south aisle, and hagioscopes on each side of the chancel arch, and there is a gallery at the west end of the church. The church was largely rebuilt in 1847 and does not contain much of interest, except an old Norman font, having an old bowl on a new base; it does not rank amongst the best specimens of its class.
The registers date from 1635.