"HIGHTLEIGH, or Highley St. Mary. is an extra parochial farm and manor, on the hills adjoining Oakford parish, and the borders of Somerset, 4 miles W. by N. of Bampton. It had anciently a chapel, and its land and assessed taxes are collected by the parish officers of Stoodleigh. It belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and is occupied by Mr. Henry Maunder." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
In Witheridge Hundred. According to Peskett: "of vague ecclesiastical status, probably definable as extra-parochial on lapse of function of the medieval chapel (in ruins) . . . now incorporated in Oakford parish."