[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"KINGSWEAR, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, county Devon, half a mile S.E. of Dartmouth, its post town, 4 miles S. of Brixham, and 10½ S. of Torquay. It has a station on the Torquay branch of the South Devon railway. The village, which is small, is situated at the mouth of the river Dart, and on the eastern side of Dartmouth Harbour. It has the ruins of an old fort, taken by Fairfax in 1646, and on the brow of a hill near the village are some remains of military works. Kingswear is considered very invigorating to persons of consumptive or delicate constitution. The impropriate tithes have beer, commuted for a rent-charge of £4, and the vicarial for £7 15s. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £87, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, is a stone structure, rebuilt, in 1847, with the exception of the tower, which contains a clock and three bells. It contains a very old rhyming epitaph in French. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum. John Fownes Lutterell, Esq., is lord of the manor."