[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"KNOWSTONE, a parish in the hundred of South Molten, county Devon, 9 miles S.E. of South Molton, and 13 N.W. of Tiverton. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is clayey, and subsoil rock. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Molland. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains an altar window, a plain Norman doorway, and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £3 10s. per annum Sir Robert George Throckmorton, Bart., is lord of the manor."