"MAMHEAD is a small parish of scattered houses, chiefly on the western acclivities of a bold eminence, 3 miles W. of Starcross, and 4 miles E. by N. of Chudleigh. It has 246 inhabitants, and 1220 acres of land, mostly the property and manor of Sir R.L. Newman, Bart., whose father was created a baronet in 1836. He resides at Mamhead Park, which has a large and handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected about 20 years ago on the site of the old house, which was mostly built by Sir Peter Balle, an eminent loyalist who died in 1680, aged 82. It was afterwards the seat of the two last Earls of Lisburne. The house stands on a rising knoll at the junction of three narrow valleys, opening towards the coast, and backed with a high woody ridge of Haldon. . . . On the lofty wooded summit of Mamhead Point, stands a noble obelisk of Portland stone, built by Thos. Balle, Esq., about 1742. The Church stands in the park, and is a neat structure with a tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 17s. 6d., and in 1831 at £206, is in the patronage of Sir R.L. Newman, Bart., and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. H.H. Courtenay, M.A., who has a good residence and 20A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Exminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.