[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"MEMBURY, a parish in the hundred of Axminster, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Axminster, and 9 E. of Honiton. Chard is its post town. It is a small irregularly built village, on the river Yarty, and on the borders of Dorsetshire. The parish is divided into two tythings N. and S. In the neighbourhood is Castle Camp, two acres in extent, and situated on a hill. Stone is quarried here. The soil is various. The tithes have been commuted for rent-charges of £132 each, payable to the prebendaries of Grindall and Warthill, and the vicarial for £336. The living is a curacy* annexed to the vicarage* of Axminster, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. In the interior of the church is a monument to Sir S. Calmady, who was mortally wounded at the siege of Ford House. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Goodmans is the principal residence. The Rev. Lord John Thynne, D.D., is lord of the manor."