"MOREBATH, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Devon, 9 miles N. of Tiverton, its post town, and 2 N. of Bampton. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the borders of Somersetshire, near the river Exe. The soil consists of clay on a substratum of freestone, which is quarried. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £115, and the vicarial for £234. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £195. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing five bells. The interior has a font and several monuments to the Bere and Sayer families. The parochial charities produce about £2 pee annum. There is a free school for both sexes endowed by John Brooke in 1688 with a rent-charge of £10."