A Romano-British Inscribed Stone Between Parracombe and Lynton.
Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. 45, (1913), pp. 270-275.
The Rev. J.F. Chanter, M.A., F.S.A.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The paper was presented at the Association’s Buckfastleigh meeting, 23rd July, 1913. It relates to an inscribed stone found by the author near Parracombe. Its inscription reads 'cavudi filius civili'. It is Romano-British in origin; dating from about AD 400- 500. It was once used as a hanging post for a gate, but has since been removed to Six Acre Farm, Lynton. According to authorities, the name of the person commemorated, CAVUDUS, is also the latin name of St. Cewydd. The inscription is translated as '(The tomb of) Cavudus, Son of Civilis'. Inscribed stones are not uncommon in Wales and Cornwall, but in Devon they are few in number. There was at the time the paper was delivered, a group of four in the Tavistock district, one formerly at Fardel, Ivybridge, now in the British Museum; one at Yealmpton, one at Lustleigh, and one formerly at Bowden, Totnes. There is one also at Winsford in Somerset. These are all of a Romano-British type and have been associated with the fifth and sixth centuries, and Mr Chanter’s discovery was especially interesting as linking the Somerset stone with the Devon and Cornish stones, as well as adding North Devon to the districts in which inscriptions had been found. The paper can be found in a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal that can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
|Aurelius Ambrosius S||274|
|Badcock, Rev Samuel S||275|
|Bailey, C.F. Esq||273|
|Baring-Gould, Rev S||274|
|Cavudus||271, 273, 275|
|Dyvnwal Moelmyd S||274|
|Gwrgan Varvtrwch S||274|
|Mauron, Bishop S||274|
|Rhys, Professor Sir John||271-4|
|St Petrock S||274|
|Worth, Mr R Hansford, F.G.S||272|