Notes on the Priory of St. Mary at Pilton


Townshend M. Hall, F.G.S. Etc.

Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. 2, Part 1, (1867), pp. 93-97.

Prepared by Michael Steer

This paper was presented at the Association’s July 1867 Barnstaple meeting. Pilton’s Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin formerly formed part of the Benedictine Pilton Priory, founded BY Athelstan between 925-940 as a cell of Malmesbury Abbey. It was closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1533 when it was acquired by the Chichester Family of Raleigh Manor. An extensive bibliography related to the ancient Priory may be accessed at the Heritage Gateway website. The Paper, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.

Athelstan93, 95
Bronescombe, Bishop94
Chanter, John R. Esq94
Chichester family97
Chichester, Richard97
Fairfax, General Thomas96
Grandisson, Bishop94
Henry VIII95
Lacy, Bishop94-5
Oliver, Dr94
Ross, John95
Stapledon, Bishop94