A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
POLTIMORE, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 4 miles (N. E.) from Exeter, containing 270 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Huxham, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £15. 15. 5., and in the patronage, of Sir G. W. Bampfylde, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is principally in the decorated style of English architecture, with an elegant wooden screen: it was built by John Bampfylde, who died in 1390, and to whose memory it contains a slab. Near it is an almshouse for four poor persons, founded by Mrs. Bampfylde about 1595, and endowed at different times by Sir Amias Bampfylde and several of his descendants. Poltimore is situated on the river Clist, and there are mines of manganese within the parish.