Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
REWE. St. Mary. The church was built in 1450, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, separated from nave by three arches resting on columns having capitals carved with figures holding shields, transept, south porch, and west tower with five bells.
The rood screen [plate 193] of five bays remains across the chancel; it has lost the groining and has a modern cornice and cresting, the spandrel spaces have scrolls with the words "Jesus" and "Maria" on either side in the side bays, and "Ego sum ostium" over the doorways; there are no paintings on the lower panels. In the aisle there is apparently a hagioscope which has been filled in. There are sedilia and piscina on the south side of the chancel. The west door has the old opening in the wall for the bar fastening; near the south door there is an old money box dated 1631. There are some good bench-ends, carved with geometrical designs, and the arms of Wadham impaling Seymour and Chiseldon. At the east end of the aisle is the monument of:- Mr. Paul Draper of Exon, sometime of Ridgeway in this parish who left ye toilsome businesse of this life to prepare for a better, He converst with God daily by singing of Psalms, Praying and Meditation. He had a true love to all God's people. After many years sharpe paines with a becoming patience his soul entered into rest 20th of Sept, and his body here laid in ye dust, the 26th 1689. æ 75.
In the churchyard is a fine cross which has been restored.
The registers date: baptisms, 1675; marriages, 1686; burials, 1686.