SEATON AND BEER
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SEATON, a parish and seaport town in the hundred of Colyton, county Devon, 7 miles S.W. of Axminster, its post town, 2½ S. of Colyton, and 10 from Honiton. It is supposed to be the Moridunum of Antonine, and was a landing-place of the Danes. It is mentioned by Leland as a notable haven, and is now a sub-port to Exeter. The parish includes the hamlet of Beer. At Honey Ditches there is a camp of 3 acres. The town has been improved of late years, and is now a watering-place much frequented during the summer season. The soil is of a sandy or chalky nature, with a gravelly subsoil. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £300, and the vicarial for £260, with a glebe of 12 acres. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Beer annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £206. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, or St. Gregory, was erected in the reign of Henry III., and has a tower containing four bells. It has been lately restored. There is a chapel-of-ease at Beer. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. Sir W. C. Trevelyan, Bart., is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the Tuesday in Whitsun week."
"BEER, a tything in the parish of Seaton, hundred of Colyton, in the county of Devon, 3 miles to the S.W. of Colyton. It is seated on the coast near Beer Head, a chalk promontory between Axmouth and Sidmouth. It is a good fishing station, with a small harbour, and a pier erected about 1820. A coastguard station is established here. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Seaton, in the diocese of Exeter. Here are almshouses for 25 fishermen and 20 widows, and free schools, founded and endowed by Lady Rolls, the revenue of which is £210 per annum. The tything has also a share with Idstock in an endowment by Edward Colston for the maintenance and education of 100 boys."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003