[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"SHEBBEAR, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 8 miles N.E. of Holdsworthy, its post town, and 7½ W. of Hatherleigh. The village is situated near the river Torridge, which bounds the parish on the W. A portion of the female inhabitants are employed in glove making. The surface is hilly and enriched with woods. The living is a vicarage* with the perpetual curacy of Sheepwash annexed, in the diocese of Exeter, value £243, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum, realised from parish lands. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Bible Christians have places of worship. P. A. Kingdon, Esq., is lord of the manor."