"SHOBROOKE, a village and a parish, in the vale of the small river Creedy, 2½ miles E.N.E. of Crediton, contains many scattered farm-houses, 787 inhabitants, and 3835A. of land. J.H. Hippisley, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manors of Shobrooke and Little Fulford, the latter of which extends into Crediton parish. He has a handsome seat here, called Fulford Park. . . . G.S. Fursdon owns part of West Raddon estate, and several smaller freeholders have estates in the parish. Part of West Raddon belongs to the Westcote family, and Thomas Westcote, the antiquary, was born there in 1567, and was buried at Shobrooke about 1640. . . . A small fair is held at Shobrooke, on July 9th. The Church is a fine ancient structure, with a tower and six bells, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £36, is annexed to the Bishopric of Exeter. The glebe is 21 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £560 per annum. The Rectory House, built about 60 years ago, is occupied by the curate. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in West Budleigh Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Efford is a modern (1892) chapel of ease here.