Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 6:2, (1910) pp.49, plates: port.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
36. ROSCOE GIBBS. - We regret to have to record the decease of Mr. Roscoe Gibbs, one of our most valued contributors, who had been associated with Devon Notes and Queries for the ten years of its existence, his earliest article on the "Bridford and Lustleigh Screens" appearing in the first volume, and the latest contribution from his pen "On the Heraldry of the Lower Windows of Exeter Cathedral" appeared only last year. To us his loss will be a great one ; the earnestness and zeal with which he approached any subject in which he was interested, and the great care and accuracy with which he pursued his quest, were marked characteristics of the man. Besides being a good antiquary, he was a draughtsman of no ordinary ability, as is fully indicated by the many careful drawings which accompanied and adorned his contributions. Amongst the other papers in our columns from his pen may be mentioned "Heraldry and Stained Glass in Exeter Cathedral," "Memorials of Bishop Lacy," "Compton Castle," "Ford House," and "The Arms of Dartmouth." His pencil has been at the service of others; he was always willing to help forward any work with which he was in sympathy, and to the privately printed works by Mrs. Halliday on "The Monumental Effigies in Porlock Church" and "On the Courtenay Mantelpiece in the Bishop's Palace, Exeter," and also to the various pu lications of Mr. W. H. Hamilton Rogers on the West of England he contributed an extensive series of valuable illustrations. Mr. Gibbs was educated by the Moravians, and became very proficient in French and German ; and was afterwards foreign correspondent for a London firm, whom he represented for seventeen years. He settled in Torquay in 1878, and resided there until his death, which took place on the 22nd of November last. His remains were interred in the Torquay Cemetery on the 26th Nov., 1909.