A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
WEAR-GIFFORD, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 2¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Great Torrington, containing 469 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £13. 5., aud in the patronage of Earl Fortescue. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Sixteen poor children are taught to read for £15 a year, the bequest of John Levering, in 1671.