"The parochial chapelry of Denton
, which is dependent on the parish of Gainford, comprises the townships of Denton and Haughton-le-Side. It is bounded on the east and north by Heighington, on the west and south-west by Gainford and on the south by Coniscliffe.
"The township of Denton comprises an area of 949 acres, and its annual value is £1002.
"Haughton-le-Side Township comprises an area of 1060 acres. The valuation of property for the County rate is £937.
"The Village of Denton occupies a quiet and retired situation, about half a mile from the main road between Darlington and Staindrop. Six miles north-west by west from the former, a small brook flows north and south through the village, which is occupied entirely by an agricultural population. Denton Hall adjoins the church, and is a large house, once the residence of the Culleys, who were proprietors of this township.
"The hamlet of Haughton-le-Side occupies a lofty situation, six miles north-west from Darlington. Above the hamlet is an eminence called Leg's Cross, and tradition informs us that King James, on his way to Walworth, sat down upon this eminence, from whence he enjoyed the prospect of Raby Castle, and declared it to be the fairest castle in all his dominions. The view from the spot is truly fine, taking in the well-cultivated hills on the southern bank of the Tees."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]