"The parish of Hart comprises the townships of Dalton-Piercy, Elwick, Hart, Nesbit, Thorp-Bulmer, and part of Throston. It is bounded on the north and north-west by Monk Hesledon parish, on the south-west by Elwick Hall, on the south by Stranton, and on the east by the German Ocean. The parochial chapelry of Hartlepool was formerly held by the vicars of Hart; but in 1807 it became a perpetual curacy. The townships of Nesbit and Thorp-Bulmer, which form the most northerly portion of the parish, are in Easing ton Ward. Nesbit township is also attached to the Easington Poor Law Union.
"Hart Township contains 2400 acres, and its annual value in 1893 was £5590. The village of Hart occupies the brow of an eminence, eleven miles north by east from Stockton, and commands a fine view of the towns of Hartlepools, from which towns it is distant four miles. There is an interesting old relic adjoining the manor-house, supposed to have been of monastic origin. Tradition claims it as the birthplace of the celebrated Robert Bruce. All that is now visible is one wall, containing a pointed arched window, probably of the 13th century.
"Dalton Piercy Township, the most southern portion of the parish, contains 1006 acres, and its annual value in 1893 was £854. Red Lion, a hamlet in this township, derives its name from two public houses on the Sunderland and Stockton road; it is eight miles north by east from the latter place.
"Elwick Township forms the south-western portion of Hart parish, and comprises an area of 1500 acres. The annual value of the property assessed for the County Rate in 1893, was £1968. The village of Elwick, which is about nine miles north by east from Stockton, and is separated by a deep dene from the neighbouring parish of Elwick Hall, contains two public-houses and the usual shops. The annual feast takes place on the Sunday and Monday after Old St. Magdalen's Day."
[From History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan , London, 1894]