"RUARDEAN, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 6 miles from Ross, its post town, the same distance N.W. of Newnham, and 3 from Mitcheldean Road railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a lofty ridge, overlooking the valley of the river Wye. The Severn and Wye railway passes through the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is elevated, and is watered by a small brook, called Bishop's Brook, which separates this parish from the county of Hereford. The substratum contains limestone and coal.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a spired tower containing six bells. The W. window is enriched with tracery. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. Kingsmill Manby Power, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are ruins of an ancient castle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Original source material relating to Ruardean, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- The transcription of the section for Ruardean from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ruardean to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ruardean has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO620174 (Lat/Lon: 51.853462, -2.553034), Ruardean which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)