1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"FARNWORTH, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Deane, hundred of Salford, county palatine Lancaster, 3 miles S.E. of Bolton-le-Moors, and 81 N.W. of Manchester, its post town. The West Lancashire and Yorkshire railway has a station here. The village is large, forming a suburb of Great Bolton. The inhabitants are employed in the coal-mines, vitriol works, and in the cotton and paper mills, all of which are of considerable extent. The living is a vicarage with Kersley annexed, in the diocese of Manchester, value £300, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees. The church is a Gothic edifice dedicated to St. John. The Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Roman Catholics, and Swedenborgians have chapels, and there are National and infant schools."