The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GARSTON, a chapelry in the parish of Childwall, hundred of West Derby, county palatine Lancaster, 5 miles S.E. of Liverpool, its post town. It is situated on the river Mersey, and includes the townships of Aigburth and Speke, and is a station on a branch line of the Stockport and Warrington railway. Extensive salt-works give employment to most of the inhabitants. There is a district church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £138. The charities produce about £12 yearly."