The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LEA, a township in the parish of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.W. of Preston. It is a station on the Preston and Wyre railway. There is an endowed free school with £75 per annum. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. It is joined with Ashton, Ingol, and Cottam."