The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"MELLOR, a township in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Blackburn, its post town, and 7 E. of Preston. It is situated on the N. side of the new road from Blackburn to Preston. There is a Roman camp on the moor, also an extensive cotton-mill. A brisk trade is done in hand-loom weaving. There are some good stone quarries, and several mineral springs. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern stone structure, with a lofty spired tower. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. Woodford Park is the principal residence. The representatives of the late J. F. Hindle, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners."