The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SAMLESBURY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Blackburn, lower division of Blackburn hundred, county Lancaster, 4 miles N.E. of Preston. The village, which is considerable, is situated betwixt the rivers Ribble and Darwen. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture, with a small proportion of arable and woodland. The soil is chiefly of a clayey character. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the cotton-mill. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient stone structure with a bell turret. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship. In the vicinity is the old mansion of the Southworths, now occupied as a ladies', boarding-school."