The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"THORNTON, a township in the parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.E. of Poulton, its post town and railway station. The township, which is extensive, is situated oil the Preston railway and the river Wyre, and includes the new town and port of Fleetwood [which see]. The lands on which the town is built were, prior to 1836, one wild tract of rabbit warren, but through the enterprise of Sir Peter Hesketh Fleetwood, Bart., have been transformed into a populous and thriving district, with harbour and docks, the plan of which was laid down by Decimus Burton, of London, architect. The township is bounded on the N. by Lancaster and Morecombe Bay, and on the E. and S. by the river Wyre. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, value £105, in the patronage of trustees. The church has a stained E. window. Rossall is now converted into a collegiate school."