The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"TORVER, a township in the parish of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 11 miles N. of Ulverston, and 6 S.W. of Hawkeshead. It is a station on the Coniston branch of the Ulverston and Lancaster and Furness Junction railway. The village is situated near Coniston Water. The land is rocky and barren. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £59. The parochial charities produce about £15, of which £8 go to the school founded by John Fleming in 1777. The manor is royal."