The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WARTON, a parish in the hundred of Lonsdale, county Lancaster, 7 miles N.E. of Lancaster, its post town, and 1 mile N. of Carnforth railway station on the Carlisle railway. It is situated on the small river Keir, near the Kendal and Lancaster canal, and at a short distance to the E. of Morecambe Bay. Thepar., comprising above 22,000 acres, contains the townships of Carnforth, Borwick, Priest Hutton, Silverdale, Warton with Lindeth, Yealand Conyers, and Yealand-Redmayne. Copper exists at Warton Crag, but is not now worked. The soil is a thin earth, resting on layers of gravel in parts, but chiefly on limestone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £187, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, has a painted E. window, and was restored in 1850. The register dates from 1575. There are also the district churches of Silverdale and Yealand Conyers, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value £80 and £57 each. There area free grammar school, an hospital founded and endowed by Archbishop Hutton in 1594, and an infant school. There are remains of a Roman encampment."