The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WOODLAND, a chapelry in the parish of Kirkby Ireleth, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 8 miles N.W. of Ulverston. It is situated near the river Dudden, and is joined with Heathwaite. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester,-value £70, in the patronage of the landowners. The chapel-of-ease was built in 1689, and repaired in 1822."