"ALVERSTOKE, a parish co-extensive with the liberties of Alverstoke and Gosport, in the Fareham division of the county of Southampton, on the western side of Portsmouth harbour. It comprises the town and port of Gosport, a suburb of Portsmouth, and the chapelries and hamlets of Gosport, Forton, Anglesey, Hardway, and Elson. It is situated on the coast of Stoke Bay, 2 miles from the Gosport terminus of the South Western railway. Part of the new works for the defence of the harbour of Portsmouth are in this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value, with the curacy of Anglesey, £1,087, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is very ancient, having been founded by Bishop Henry de Blois in the year 1130, on occasion of his deliverance from shipwreck. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]