"AVINGTON, a parish and pleasant village in the lower division of the hundred of Fawley, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the W. of New Alresford, and 4 N.E. from Winchester, its post town. It is situated in a pleasant country on the banks of the river Itchin. In the Saxon age the manor of Avington was a royal demesne, and was given by King Edgar to the priory of St. Swithin, Winchester, in whose possession it continued till the Dissolution. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £265, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat red brick edifice, with ivy-mantled tower and peal of six bells. It was built by the late Marchioness of Carnarvon. The register dates from 1623. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]