"BEAULIEU, (or Bewley), a parish in the liberty of the same name, Southampton division of the county of Southampton, 6½ miles to the N.E. of Lymington, and 5 S.E, of Beaulieu Road railway station, on the Southampton and Dorchester railway. The village is pleasantly seated on a stream bearing the same name, which rises a little beyond Lyndhurst, expands, and becomes navigable here for small vessels, and falls into the Solent. In the year 1204, a Cistercian abbey was founded here by King John. It was dedicated to the Virgin, and was valued at the Dissolution at £428. The privilege of sanctuary was attached to it, and among those who made it an asylum was Margaret of Anjou, Queen of Henry VI., who, with her son, took refuge here for a time after the battle of Barnet, in 1471; and Perkin Warbeck, in 1498. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]