"BINSTED, a parish in the hundred of Alton, Alton division of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the E. of Alton, its post town, and 7 S.W. from Farnham. It includes the hamlets of Issington, Week, Westcote, and Wheatley. Part of the land is laid out in hop-grounds. The village, which is a place of some importance, is situated 1½ mile S.W. from Bentley railway station. The living is a vicarage* annexed to the perpetual curacy of Kingsley, in the diocese of Winchester, of the joint annual value of £465, in the gift of the dean and chapter. The church of the Holy Cross is an ancient structure, with a low square tower, surmounted by a spire. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, and there is a parochial school supported by voluntary contributions. The parochial charities amount to £2 a year. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]