"BOSSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Lower Thorngate, Romsey division of the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the S. of Stockbridge, its post town, 10 W. of Winchester, and 3 N. of Dunbridge railway station. It is situated on the banks of the small river Anton, and is crossed by the Roman road to Winchester, on the line of which many gold and silver ornaments have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Broughton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a handsome structure, rebuilt in 1839, of flint and stone, in the early English style. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]