"BROWN CANDOVER, a parish in the hundred of Mainsborough, Winchester division of the county of Southampton, 52 miles to the N. of New Alresford, and about 4 miles from Mitcheldever, its post town, which is a station on the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the river Itchen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value with that of Chilton Candover annexed, £497, in the patronage of Lord Ashburton. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a spacious edifice in the Tudor style, erected in 1845, chiefly at the expense of Lord Ashburton, who is lord of the manor. There is a National school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]