"BURITON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Finch-Dean, Petersfield division of the county of Southampton, 2 miles to the S.W. of Petersfield, its post town, and 54 from London. It lies near the border of Sussex, at the foot of Butser Hill, and contains the hamlets of Nurstead and Weston. Butser Hill rises to the height of 900 feet, and commands an extensive and beautiful prospect. Limestone is quarried in the parish The London and South-Western railway passes through it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the annual value with the perpetual curacy of Petersfield annexed, of £1,194, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain, ancient edifice, with ivy-mantled tower. There is a chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists, erected in 1848, and a National school, built in 1845. The historian Gibbon resided at Buriton manor-house, and his father is buried in the churchyard there. There is an endowment for the poor by Bishop Lanney, amounting to £16 a year. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]