"CHILWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, in the county of Hants, 4 miles E. of Romsey, its post town, and near Chandler's Ford station of the South-Western rail-way. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £53, in the patronage of John Fleming, Esq., who rebuilt the church at his sole expense. It is in the Gothic style, and is a small but handsome edifice with neat spire, containing a beautiful stained-glass window of the Evangelists. A monument stands in the churchyard to the memory of the late Hon. Richard G. Quin, and likewise a mausoleum to W. H. Pitt, Esq. John B. Fleming, Esq., of Stoneham Park, owns the manor and the whole of the parish, which consists generally of open ground and woodland. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]