"EAST DEAN, a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, Romsey division of the county of Hants, 6½ miles N.W. of Romsey, and 9 from Salisbury. The Salisbury and Southampton canal passes near the village. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, annexed to the rectory* of Mottisfont, and in the patronage of the Rev. Paulet St. John. The charities amount to £2 per annum. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of £205; the glebe contains four acres. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Dean to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which East Dean has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for East Dean from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU277265 (Lat/Lon: 51.036778, -1.606235), East Dean which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)