"EAST MEON, a parish chiefly in the lower half of the hundred of East Meon, but partly in the hundred of Meon-Stoke, county Hants, 5 miles S.W. of Petersfield station, its post town. The parish is of large extent, comprising 11,380 acres. It contains the villages of Meon-Stoke and West Meon. About 8,000 acres are arable, 700 meadow and pasture, 1,350 woodlands, 1,277 downs, and the remainder in common and waste. An Enclosure Act was passed in 1839 for taking in certain lands. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the curacies of Froxfield and Steep annexed, £903, in the patronage of the bishop. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]