"EAST WOODHAY, a parish in the hundred of Evingar, county Hants, 6 miles S.W. of Newbury, and 8 N.W. of Kingsclere. The parish is situated at the north-western extremity of the county, immediately beneath the Hampshire hills, and is bounded by the river Enn. The parish, which includes the ecclesiastical district of Wootton Hill, with the villages of East-End and North-End, is traversed by the road from Newbury to Andover. At East End was formerly a palace of the Bishops of Winchester. Bishops Hooper, Ken, and Lowth were once rectors. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value with the chapelry of Ashmansworth annexed, £1,400, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, or St. Margaret, has a chancel, rebuilt in 1850 by the rector. In the interior are mural tablets and a marble monument with effigies erect of Edward and Elizabeth Goddard, once of Stargroves House. The district church of Wootton Hill was erected in 1849. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels. There are National schools at Woodhay and Wootton Hill. The charities produce about £16 per annum. The Earl of Carnarvon is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]