"FAREHAM, a parish and market town in the hundred and division of Fareham, county Hants, 8 miles S. of Bishop's Waltham, and 12 S.E. of Southampton. It is a station on the South-Western railway. The parish is situated on Fareham Creek, to the N.W. of Portsmouth Harbour, and includes the hamlets of North Fareham, Catisfield, Wallington, and Funtley. Fareham is called Fernham in Domesday Book, which records that Edward the Confessor assessed the land to the crown at two thirds its value, as a compensation for the injuries it was exposed to by the incursions of the Danes. It was in ancient times a parliamentary borough, and is a place of considerable trade, vessels of good tonnage being able to lay close to the town. Petty sessions are held here, and it is a polling-place for the S. division of the county. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]