"FARRINGDON, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Selborne, Alton division of county Hants, 3 miles S. of Alton, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Petersfield. The nearest railway station is Alton, on the London and South-Western line. The village is compactly built, with an open area in the centre. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £476, in the patronage of the trustees of the late Edward Hall, Esq. The church is a small edifice dedicated to All Saints. There are small charities of about £1 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Edward Knight, Esq., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]