"FAWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Dibden, county Hants, 8 miles S.E. of Southampton, its post town, and 12 N.E. of Lymington. It is situated to the W. of Southampton Water, and includes the ecclesiastical district of Hythe, with the tything of Lepe, the hamlets of Badminstone, Hardly, Langley, and other small places. Here is a coastguard station at Calshot Castle, a fortress erected in the reign of Henry VIII. with the old materials of Netley Abbey. At Stanswood, in this parish, is a "floating island," which occasionally changes its position, trees and all, by a distance of a few feet. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]