"GRATELY, a parish in the hundred of Andover, county Hants, 6 miles S.W. of Andover, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Stockbridge. The village, which is small, is situated in the vicinity of Walbury Park, and is a station on the London and South-Western line of railway. In the Saxon times it was a place of considerable importance, and had five churches. Athelstane called a council to assemble here, and frequently held his court in the royal palace. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £263 5s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £284. The church is a plain structure dedicated to St. Leonard. The charitable bequests, including £5 to the Sunday-school, produce about £40 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]