"HARTLEY-MAUDITT, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Alton, county Hants, 2¾ miles S.E. of Alton, its post town, and 10 from Farnham railway station. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £256. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor. The tithes have been commuted. The ancient mansion of Sir S. Stuart, Bart., which stood in the park, was taken down when the property passed into the hands of the late Lord Stowell."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]